THE LYMAN GRAHAM SCHOLARSHIP (LGS)
In May 2019 the world of child nutrition experienced a devasting loss; Mr. Lyman Graham departed this life after many years of dedicated service to Roswell School District Food Services & NMSNA and its members. Mr. Graham was a strong believer and advocate of ‘feeding our babies” and fought long and hard to encourage and educate our legislators that Universal Meals (now known as Healthy School Meals for All) is the way to go to ensure no kid ever went hungry in this great country of ours. With this thought in mind, he made it his humble duty to attend the Legislative Action Conference (LAC) annually to fight towards Healthy School Meals for All becoming a reality. In his memory we have established the LYMAN GRAHAM SCHOLARSHIP that will afford a NMSNA member the opportunity to attend LAC to continue the work of Mr. Graham at his favorite leadership forum. This is the third year of this scholarship opportunity. A deserving child nutrition professional will receive the opportunity to attend this leadership forum (in person); all expenses paid. (Estimated value of $3000.00)
CRITERIA TO BE A RECIPIENT OF SCHOLARSHIP
- Must be a current member in good standing with NMSNA.
- Must be a first-timer to attend the Legislative Action Conference (LAC) in Washington DC.
- Interested NMSNA members will submit a one-page (minimum can be longer) essay via email on the following topics:
- Whom they understand or know Lyman Graham to be.
- Why Healthy School Meals for All are important for our youth, not only in NM but nationwide?
- What do they hope to gain from this experience?
- Be willing to share the experience with NMSNA membership at Spring Regional Training.
- Upon receipt of the essays from eligible candidates by established deadline, the essays will be reviewed by the entire NMSNA Board and the individual whom essay best coveys the requested topics will be awarded the scholarship. NMSNA Board will convene at winter board meeting, select winner and notify them by February 1 of the award year.
CALENDAR FOR INTERESTED LGS APPLICANTS
11/1/2022 – 1/6/2023
Open Period for All Interested Applicants
All Essays must be sent to Janet Sanchez – NMSNA Executive Director at this email address: [email protected]
NM SNA Board Review of Application at Winter Board Meeting
Announcing Awardee of the Lyman Graham Scholarship